Sunday, April 6, 2008

Idlewild Presbyterian, One of 1000 Churches

Idlewild, Union Street View 2
Memphis is often called "The City of 1000 Churches" or the "City of Churches". There are many beautiful places of worship in Memphis, and one of those is Idlewild Presbyterian Church.

This is the church of which I was a member when I was a little girl, and I dearly loved attending there. I went to Vacation Bible School and Sunday School, and also attended Kindergarten there. You can see why I developed my love of church and gothic architecture...and also stained glass and slate floors, deep and rich pipe organ music, and lovely church bells that cause many people in Midtown Memphis to stop for a moment and just listen.
Idlewild Steeple
Idlewild Presbyterian was built in 1926 and was designed by prominent Memphis architects Charles Pfiel and George Awsumb. It was built in the English Gothic style, using stone from Arkansas, Vermont, Massachusetts and Tennessee. The main entrance is also stone, with panels depicting characters and symbols of sacred history. The interior includes massive stone piers and hand-hewn arches and trusses, and is fashioned after Lincoln Cathedral in England.
Idlewild Cloistered Walk
Idlewild Courtyard 2
Idlewild Sanctuary Entrance Full
If you would like to see more photos of this beautiful church, including some photos of the lovely detail in this church, you can visit my "church blog" here.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the ceiling to the walls, this is not less than splendid and your photography is very good.

Abraham Lincoln in Brookville, Ohio now playing the part of Mrs. Zac Efron's employee.

Dan said...

Fantastic pics here and on your church blog.I love these stately old buildings but better than the construction of contemporary churches. This architecture speaks of stability and permanence. On the other hand it is so expensive. Which I guess is why contemporary churches choose alternative construction. What a contrast!

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

This is such a terrific post! You show that gorgeous building and its surroundings so well here. Love all the photos, even that solitary colonnade - great perspective in that shot (I find the symmetry and textures very attractive).

Joy said...

Just like Norwich! This church reminds me of the Anglican Cathedral. Wonderful shots!

Thanks for visiting Norwich Daily Photo and leaving your comments. Have a great week ahead!


joy
A Pinay In England
Your Love Coach
I, Woman

auto ethnographer said...

Wow. This brings so many memories flooding back to me. I lived in Memphis for 5 years in the mid to late 60s and went to Sunday school here, and Wednesday night Spaghetti dinners (must have been my mom's one night of relief from cooking for 6!). I haven't been back since we moved to Denver in 1968 (then later to Houston, and I'm in California now.) Memphis was my all time favorite city of all the places I've lived. I went to elementary school at East High (although I think I started at Richland[?], before we moved across town). I often wonder what our house (140 St. Albans Fairway looks like now). If you are ever over that way and can snap/post a photo, I'd be thrilled. When we lived there it had a montrous magnolia in the front yard. I wonder if the houses and huge lots in that neighborhood have been preserved or if they have been subdivided and rebuilt. Anyway, thanks for the trip down memory lane!

George Townboy said...

Fantastic series of photos!

Janet said...

What a gorgeous church!

PAT said...

Amazing photos of an amazingly beauitul church, Andrea!

Pat