Friday, April 11, 2008

My Favorite Spot in Memphis...

'
Well, this post is a little self-indulgent, but I hope that you will think it's a beautiful place, too. You see, today is my birthday, and since I've earned another number (for which I am very thankful!), I thought it would be fun to share with you my absolute favorite spot in Memphis.

This is "Europa and the Bull", which can be found at the rear of the South Lawn at Dixon Gallery and Gardens. I will be showing more beautiful detail in the coming days....it's stunning! Here is some information about it, found here on the Dixon website:

Europa and the Bull, located as a focal point in the south vista from the Gallery, is an 18th century marble group from Grimston Park, Tadcaster, York. It was bought in 1962 when the entire contents of the castle and gardens were auctioned. Greek mythology tells the story of how Zeus, transforming himself into a white bull, carries off the maiden Europa, daughter of the Phoenician king, Agenor (or Phoenix in some versions). He swims with her to Crete where she becomes the mother of Minos, Rhadamanthus, and Sarpedon.

I googled Grimston Park, and look here to see what I found for sale....Grimston Park, the original home of this magnificent marble sculpture! It's a very lovely residence, but a bit pricey...even for my birthday...

edited to add...Jim asked if I had shared which number birthday this is? :) Of course not! ;) But, I will say that the sculpture was acquired at approximately the same time as my birth, which is actually neat considering how I adore it.

19 comments:

Jim Klenke said...

Happy Birthday......did you say what that current number is?

Thats a beautiful statue.

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

Happy B-day!!! Your favorite spot is simply delightful. :)

Clueless in Boston said...

Happy Birthday! Beautiful spot in Memphis. It's easy to see why it is your favorite spot.

Jim Klenke said...

LOL, you are to funny. We must be close to the same age. I was born in 64, so I will be 27 on my next birthday. yep

Lynette said...

Happy birthday! Thanks for sharing your favorite spot with us--it is stunning. I was in junior or senior high around when you and Jim came on the scene, but it's just a number, that's all.

Ming the Merciless said...

Happy Birthday. :-)

The statue of Europa and the Bull is gorgeous. I can see why it is your favorite place.

brian stout said...

i think it's a beautiful spot too! and here's birthday song from my high school geometry teacher just for you:
It's your birtday, happy birthday
run around, jump around, skip around the table
fingers in the icing
it's your birthday happy birthday !!!

Stefan Jansson said...

Happy Birthday. I have been to Crete but no sign of Zeus on my visit!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday.

I was born in 1934. Imagine that?

I like this Europa and the Bull. Lots of hard work went into it and I wonder how long that took to carve?

More curious than anything.

PAT said...

First of all....Happy Birthday, dear Andrea!!

I can see why this is your favorite place...it's beautiful! The more I think about it, the more I believe J and I need to make a little road trip, down to Memphis. We could do it in an overnight...down and back. Would love to see these gardens!

Pat

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you are having a wonderful day so far. Love the statue, it's quite magnificent, isn't it?

George Townboy said...

Happy Birthday to you!!! And many more, too. That is a gorgeous statue and a beautiful favorite spot!!

Janet said...

Happy birthday! This is beautiful, and the flowers! I see why you love it.

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

beautiful!! next time I'm there I'd like to see it.
(are you having problems with the water yet? The river got really high today)

Joy said...

Happy birthday! I hope it was fun and that you're still enjoying having started another year.

It's a beautiful photo and what attracted me most was the story behind it. I love Greek mythology!

Thanks for visiting Norwich Daily Photo and leaving your comments. Have a great week ahead!


joy
A Pinay In England
Your Love Coach
I, Woman

Troop 1309 said...

Happy belated birthday! What a great photo! That park looks amazing!

Greyhound Girl said...

Happy Birthday!

And thanks for sharing your favorite spot- I can see why you love it so much... beautiful!

Chuck Pefley said...

Well Happy belated Birthday. You have indeed found a lovely spot to call favorite. Those look like rhodies blooming near the statue, but on closer inspection I think they might be azaleas?

Halcyon said...

Happy belated birthday!! This is a lovely spot. Thanks for sharing it with us.