Saturday, April 19, 2008

Walkways, Dixon Gardens

Terraced Walkway, Dixon Gardens
Walkways at Dixon are one of the most important elements in the gardens. Not only do they make walking easier around the perimeter of the South Lawn (especially in inclement weather), but they also beckon you to each separate garden room and little hidden places featuring seasonal plantings, an antique bench, or statuary. Some walks are curved and some are straight, and usually are constructed of brick or pea gravel.

Above and below are the terraced brick walkways joining the first garden room I showed you, and the one I will share after this. In the photo above you can see the restored, 19th century cast iron fountain that is the focal point in the distance (please enlarge this photo for a better view).


I hope that you are enjoying a nice weekend. We are spending time with my father today, and then I'm looking forward to catching up with each of you.

11 comments:

Halcyon said...

They'd have to tear me away if we had gardens like this in Jackson. When I lived in Rennes, France... I used to spend the summer weekends lounging at the Thabor Gardens. I miss those days! But I hope to have a nice garden of my own very soon. (Never as nice as these though... )

smilnsigh said...

Again, more achingly beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing with us.

Have a continued lovely time, with your father.

Miss Mari-Nanci

PAT said...

These photos are just simply breathtaking, Andrea!

Hope your time with your father was wonderful. I know it must have been!

Pat

Olivier said...

cette série sur ce jardin est magnifique, il nous invite à la promenade. j'aime beaucoup la première photo.

This series on the garden is beautiful, he invites us to walk around. I love the first photo.

Kim said...

These photos are stunning (as usual!) I'm not familiar with Dixon Gardens, but after seeing your pictures I wish it was someplace I had seen personally while I lived in Memphis!

Jane Hards Photography said...

I have just taken a virtual walk around those beautiful gardens. It was wonderful.

Clueless in Boston said...

Beautiful gardens, must be wonderful place to visit in the spring.. Lovely pictures.

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

looks like a nice warn walk! :)

Jilly said...

Just catching up. I've been away from your lovely blog for too long! What a gorgeous garden this is.

George Townboy said...

Love these!!

Neva said...

I am catching up as well....some really great photos of a very lovely garden.Hope you have a nice visit with your dad....