Wednesday, April 30, 2008

May Theme Day: (Dwindling) Numbers


They don't make 'em like this anymore (as the railroad caboose is now found in very limited numbers)...but you can find this Norfolk and Western Caboose (1944) anytime in Harry Cloyes' collection of Germantown artifacts at his home, Oaklawn Garden. He and his wife, Becky, generously open their garden and vast collection for the public to enjoy each day, and have bequeathed their home and garden to Germantown (just outside the Memphis city limits) for future generations to enjoy. I will share a photo of the Cloyes' home, built in 1854, tomorrow. You can see why this garden was a favorite spot for my boys to visit...Mr. Cloyes' collection of railroad, municipal, and military artifacts delights both little boys and grown-up boys alike.
For those of you who asked about the jail building in yesterday's photo, yes, it truly was the original jail building for the Germantown area.
Please click on the photo to see a detailed view (railroad car numbers included). And please visit these other wonderful CDP blogs, listed on the CDP Theme Day Page here to view their contributions to today's Theme Day.

20 comments:

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

I hope I look that good when I am 64!

Unknown said...

Yes, they don't make them like this anymore.

This train still looks sturdy and strong.

Happy Theme Day!

Janet said...

Good choices! I like your theme on the theme.

Olivier said...

un moment de l'histoire, et une bonne idée pour le thème

a moment of history, and a good idea for the theme

crittoria said...

Great photo!!

Gerald (SK14) said...

oh I love the caboose

Anonymous said...

I like the caboose picture. I have been around them most of my life and in the old days they were something else. A tiny stove that burned coal and everyone sat around them trying to stay warm. A pot on top hooked on and in place.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Love the choice of numbers, it's a great caboose.

Jim Klenke said...

Thats a great take on theme day. I love the caboose. They dont have cabooses in Texas, trains just dangle, with no end.

Halcyon said...

Love the caboose. We have one around here that's very similar. I will have to make a posting in your honor. :)

Happy May Day!

Tanya Breese said...

Great post for theme day!

Jilly said...

What a fabulous railway carriage. Great choice - plus the sign - for today's Theme.

Small City Scenes said...

Very interesting. I love history and love it when other people do and then do something about it. MB

Greyhound Girl said...

This is a great one for theme day! I always loved the caboose... it was my favorite part of the train!

raf said...

Good post on the numbers theme, Southern Heart. You do beautiful work with your Memphis blog. Thanks for sharing.

Neva said...

I can see why boys of any age would love this!

brian stout said...

nice choice for theme day... i love cabooses...

happy theme day!

Dan said...

This looks like a great place to visit. I so appreciate the effor this couple is making to preserve history.

Love this pic of the caboose.

Mo said...

Very nice.

smilnsigh said...

I'll say, they don't make them like this anymore. But I'm glad you made this photo capture.

And thank you for the nice comment, on the little hand made truck, which my husband made for a friend.

Miss Mari-Nanci
Photos-City-Mine